About one in 10 people in the U.S. would like to move, despite how taxing the process can be. In 2013, more than 35.7 million people in the U.S. moved their residence. Moving does not necessarily have to be a stressful experience if you take some time to prepare properly. Before your next move, consider the following preparation tips to make your life much easier.
1. Before you even start to pack up your belongings, try to eliminate as much clutter as possible from your house. Moving is a great opportunity to take inventory of what you have and get rid of duplicate items that you do not need. You can always donate the items to a local shelter or charity.
2. To take the guesswork out of unpacking, do not simply rely on plain labels for your cardboard boxes. Having a color coded system will allow you to quickly figure out which box is holding certain items and avoid unnecessary hassle. Make sure to arrange your boxes in such a way that the labels are visible.
3. Keep your moving expenses low by minimizing your spending on packing supplies. For fragile items, try wrapping them in clothing items to protect them from getting broken. This means you do not have to spend money on bubble wrap, and you would have to move your clothing items anyway.
4. Pack a separate box of essential items that you will need right away after arriving at your new location. When you arrive, you will likely be exhausted and will not want to spend time and energy hunting around for necessary items. If possible, pack these items in a clear bin so that you can see straight through it.
5. Do not underestimate the amount of time it will take for you to pack properly. There is nothing more stressful than trying to beat the clock to be ready for your actual move. Give yourself at least a few weeks to prepare everything and take stock of all of your possessions. The more time you have, the less likely you are to damage an item or misplace something important.
6. If you are using a moving company for your move, make sure you are clear on the terms of the moving contract. There may be excluded items that you will need to arrange to move them yourself. Also, you will want to make sure that you are set on the time that you have reserved for the move. A simple misunderstanding can cost you time and money. Be sure to also have the contact information for the moving company handy so that you are able to reach them in case of an emergency change.